Great Britain was arguably the biggest surprise to come out of the West End in 2014. In the space of just a few weeks, Nicholas Hytner announced he would be staging Richard Bean’s Great Britain, a cutting edge play with social commentary on the recent Phone Hacking Scandal. Hytner first opened Great Britain at the National Theatre with Billie Piper playing the lead of Paige Britain, a ruthless young journalist who would go to any lengths for a good story.
The show was such a success it then transferred to the Theatre Royal Haymarket (this time with Lucy Punch as Paige) where it is currently booking into 2015. On actress who has been with the show since the beginning is Kellie Shirley, who has starred in One Man Two Guvnors’ recently and has a successful on screen career as Carly Wicks EastEnders. We caught up with Kellie at the Theatre Royal Haymarket to chat about her role in the show – watch the video below to see what this bubbly young lady had to say!
- At 30 seconds Kellie tells us about the themes of the show.
- From 1 minute we hear all about her characters in the show.
- From 2.15 we hear about the surprise element of the play.
- From 3.29 Kellie discusses Billie Piper and Lucy Punch.
- At 4 minutes Kellie tells us about the celebrities and interesting people that have come to see the show, especially those involved in the Phone Hacking Scandal.
- At 4.45 we hear about Kellie’s first hand experience of Ed Miliband’s questionably fashion choices!
- At 5.15 we hear Kellie’s thoughts on returning to EastEnders.
- At 6.10 we discover what the lasting message of the show is for Kellie.
The Lightning Round
As is customary, we inflicted the Lightning Round on poor Kellie, who had her wits about her when answering our quick fire questions! Check out the video below to see how well she did!
It was a real pleasure to meet this lovely lady, who we hope to see in more West End shows soon, or even back as Carly in EastEnders! You can catch her in the hilarious Great Britain at the Theatre Royal Haymarket until the 10th January 2015.