“The Kinks” – Sunny Afternoon
I personally love a bit of The Kinks! Yeah I am a theatre goer, but I am also a big lover of live music. One of the more gutting realisations of my life has been that I will never be able to see The Kinks live. Or so I thought…
Thankfully new musical Sunny Afternoon brings The Kinks to the West End stage following a successful run at London’s Hampstead Theatre. With “original story” provided by Ray Davies, this show promises to be a true to life portrayal of the Kinks early career. Okay so they aren’t THE Kinks, but they are a bloomin’ convincing replica. George Maguire (Dave Davies), Ned Derrington (Pete Quaife), John Dagleish (Ray Davies) and Adam Sopp (Mick Avory) play the awesome foursome to great success in the show, currently running at the Harold Pinter Theatre. I was lucky enough to catch up with the lads on stage at the theatre, where they told me a little bit about the show, who they play and what they would do on their ideal Sunny Afternoon. Check out the video below!
- From 30 seconds the boys discuss the “sunny” stage.
- At 48 seconds the boys introduce themselves and their characters and share their favourite Kinks Tracks (in the show and out.)
- At 2.10 we see some exclusive footage from the show with the boys demonstrating their musical talent!
- At 2.45 we hear all about the boy’s stage hair. Lovely!
- From 3.20 the boys discuss what would make their perfect sunny afternoon.
- From 4 minutes we hear why we should see the show.
Why Should You See Sunny Afternoon?
Whilst I haven’t seen the full show yet, I am told that it is a corker. If you are a kinks fan you can expect memorable tunes such as “You Really Got Me,” “Lola,” “Waterloo Sunset” and of course “Sunny Afternoon.” There is also a beautiful 5 part harmony of “Days” in the show. Non pre-existing Kinks Fans will be by the end, according to Dagleish!
Sunny Afternoon is currently booking into 2015! Get your tickets here.