James Donovan War Horse
I love War Horse. For me the show, alongside The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is one of the best plays I have ever seen on stage. Better yet that it involves innovative staging and life like puppets from the incredible Handspring Puppet Company!
We were lucky enough to get some inside information on life on the New London Theatre stage as one of the breathtaking horses from new War Horse Puppeteer, James Donovan, a new West End theatre talent.
In the interview, we find out all about what life is like as the beating heart of two of the most crucial characters on stage, Joey and Topthorn, and what it is like to breathe life and emotion into a puppet, making it seem very real on stage.
Our favourite quotes from James
James came out with a few gems whilst we were chatting to him. The following are our favourites
- “ War has affected all of us in some way shape or form.”
- “(Playing) Topthorn is a sprint through the show but Joey is a Marathon.”
- “ War Horse will take you on a journey…it will touch you inside and leave you feeling passionate and compassionate.”
A few facts about James Donovan
Before you watch brave James tackle our Lightning Round challenge, why not find out some little known facts about the actor himself
- James feels like he can relate to Albert’s relationship with Joey as his dad has recently got a mischievous pet dog called Woody, a Belgian Griffon.
- James recently graduated from East 15 Acting School
- James is an avid supporter of Arsenal. He is happy they play some Sunday matches so he can still occasionally watch them play. If that fails, he loves a bit of Match of the Day.
The Lightning Round
Cool as a cucumber, James took on the Official Theatre Lightning Round challenge! Check out the video below to gain a quick fire insight into James’ mind!
At Official Theatre we totally recommend you go and see War Horse, it is great!